Every October since 2004 marks National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This month raises awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and how to protect yourself from cybercrime. Below are the top 5 things you can do to safeguard yourself:
- Do not ignore operating system or security patch update notifications. Make sure all devices (phones, tablets, laptops, desktops) have the latest operating system versions and security updates.
- Enable and keep firewalls and anti-malware software up to date on all computers.
- Avoid using the same login ID and password for different systems. Make usernames and passwords unique for each system. To remember your passwords use a password keeper.
- Register for security alerts on all credit cards. Most credit cards allow their customers to be alerted for suspicious purchases, over-spending, etc.
- Don’t believe your caller ID. Technology makes it easy for scammers to fake caller ID information, so the number you see may not be legitimate.
FoxPointe Solutions, a division of The Bonadio Group, specializes in cybersecurity. Unlike other firms that claim to have dedicated information risk management and cyber security advisors, advisory services are all that FoxPointe Solutions provides – no product resale or implementation services.
Reach out to me at email@example.com or one of my talented colleagues to schedule a one-hour cybersecurity readiness session.